- Whole 30
- 2 lb raw wild haddock fillets
- 1 cup gluten-free crackers (Simple Mills’ rosemary and sea salt is a good option)
- A handful of fresh parsley
- Avocado oil
- 1 large head of swiss chard + leftover beet greens
- 2 cloves of garlic – minced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 T organic olive oil or grass-fed butter (if tolerated)
- 1 bushel red beets (~1-2 beets per person)
- If the cracker crust is omitted, this recipe would become AIP-friendly!
- You may use kale, spinach or any greens of your choice. This recipe reduces food waste by utilizing the beet greens instead of throwing them away!
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place crackers in a bowl or baggie and crunch up into a powder.
- Cut fish into roughly 4 oz portions; drizzle fish fillets with avocado oil (~1-2 tsp) and dip into cracker mixture; press in coating to make sure it sticks.
- Lay fish skin side-down on a baking sheet or cast iron skillet; top with chopped fresh parsley.
- Bake fish at 350° for ~15-20 minutes or until it flakes easily (you can put it into the oven halfway into cooking the beets so everything finishes around the same time).
2Sweet Potato Mash
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes and chop them into bite-sized pieces (you can do this while the beets/fish are roasting).
- Fill a large pot with boiling water and bring to boil; add potatoes.
- Reduce heat to slow boil and cook until potatoes are fork-tender; ~20-25 minutes.
- Once cooked, pour the potatoes into a strainer.
- Pour the cooked potatoes into a bowl with olive oil or grass-fed butter and mash; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Wash and scrub the beets well; remove the greens and save for later use.
- Add the beets to a baking sheet (with the skin on), drizzle with avocado oil and roast at 350° for 50-65 minutes (until you can easily stick them with a fork).
- Remove the beets from the oven; let them cool and then peel off the skin under running water to avoid dyeing your hands red; set aside (you can leave it whole or chop in half).
- Add a drizzle of avocado oil to a large pan and turn on low; add minced garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes (you can use the same pot you cooked the potatoes in).
- Add washed/dried/chopped beet greens and swiss chard.
- Cover the greens and let them cook on low until wilted for roughly 7-10 minutes.
- Serve the fish layered over cooked greens, mashed sweet potatoes and roasted beets.