Where do I go from here?
I hope that you’ve gained some knowledge and acquired some healthy habits for the long run from this 7 day detox, thank you for joining me! As you ease back into your post-detox routine, I recommend that you consider a lower sugar and mindful approach to eating as we can all benefit in some way from keeping our sugar intake low. Here are some of my tips for how you can “retox” mindfully:
- Use my Sugar Detox Label Reading blog and How To Dine Out guide for help with choosing healthier packaged foods and navigating a menu in a mindful way when outside of the home.
- Check out my Sugar Detox Snack List and re-stock your pantry! Choosing snack foods (especially kids snacks) with < 6 grams of sugar per serving is a good rule of thumb for the long term.
- Life is all about balance-treat yourself to a sweeter treat once in a while if that’s something that makes your life feel full! I recommend taking the time to sit down, eat slowly and enjoy every bite when you go on your sugar excursion-no guilt included!
- Suffering without sugar in your coffee this past week? Consider subbing plant based sweeteners in moderation like stevia or monk fruit which research has shown don’t tend to cause a spike in insulin levels like other added sugars.
- Keep in mind that most recipes can be modified to be greatly reduced or eliminated of added sugar-for baking most added sugar can be at least cut in half and coconut sugar is a less refined, lower glycemic (meaning less blood sugar spiking) 1:1 replacement.
- Other better sources of sweet to choose? Small portions of dates or figs, raw maple syrup or local honey can be used in moderation as a part of most healthy lifestyle plans.
- What are the sugars you should avoid for the long run if you can? Any artificial sweeteners like splenda, sucralose, aspartame and bleached, highly refined sugars like white table sugar and high fructose corn syrup
- Check out some of my favorite lower sugar dessert recipes: Paleo Carrot Cake Muffins, Grain Free Peach Cobbler or Chocolate Peanut Butter Chickpea Blondies
- Love how you felt this week and want to keep that momentum going? Consider staying off of sugar, dairy and gluten a bit longer! For an individualized approach to whole body detox, schedule a Nutrition Consult with me in my office!