As someone living with a sweet tooth, I’ve found my ways around fulfilling a craving for some sweetness in a way that will still benefit my body. These are my favorite real-food hacks that’ll help fulfill that sugary need without using any added sugars, sweeteners or artificials!
Preheat oven to 400 degrees, open a can of chickpeas, rinse and dry. Spread out on a baking sheet and toss in some melted coconut oil or ghee, vanilla extract and a generous amount of cinnamon. Roast for ~18-20 minutes or until crisp and sprinkle with sea salt.
Heat and whisk on the stove: ½ cup full fat coconut milk + 1.5 cups vanilla unsweetened almond milk + 1 tsp ground turmeric, 3/4 tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp ground ginger or a pinch of fresh grated ginger root + pinch of black pepper (makes 2 servings)
Banana Cacao Pudding
Combine in a blender/food processor: 1 ripe banana, ½ avocado, 1 T raw cacao powder until very smooth, add a dash of almond milk if thinner consistency desired. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and enjoy topped with fresh chopped walnuts or a drizzle of almond butter
Have minimal time to cook or prep? These are some quicker ideas:
For the chocolate lover:
- Pascha 100% cacao chocolate chips – these are tasty thrown into my Sugar Detox Breakfast Brownies recipe or as a handful with raw almonds/walnuts after dinner
- Where to buy: Thrive market, online
- Eating Evolved Midnight Coconut Bar – enjoy 2-3 squares
- Where to buy: Whole Foods, Cambridge Naturals
For the sweet n salty connoisseur:
- Purely Pecans Sea Salt Nut butter – enjoy 1-2 T slathered on an apple or pear
- Where to buy: Thrive, Amazon
For the crunch seeker:
- Rhythm Foods Sea Salt Beet chips – grab a handful for a naturally sweet-tasting chip!
- Where to buy: Whole Foods, Thrive
For the coco-nutty:
- Nutiva coconut butter – melt this down and drizzle a spoonful on roasted sweet potato or kabocha squash with a dash of cinnamon -this combo is DIVINE
- Where to buy: Whole Foods
For the fruit fanatic:
- Frozen organic cherries – snack right out of the freezer or top with a few spoonful’s of unsweetened coconut yogurt