We’ve made it to the end of the year, and I think we can all agree, it’s been a wild ride! Let’s celebrate the holiday season together, and bring in the new year with another round of healthy recipes, tips, tricks, and gift ideas!
Try these easy food swaps for your holiday meal to add some nutrients, and show your family that healthy can be delicious!
Mashed cauliflower or rutabaga instead of mashed potatoes
- To lower your carb intake, and add in some phytonutrients to this creamy side dish, try these options. Start with either roasted cauliflower or boiled rutabaga, then mash in a bowl with 1-2 Tbsp of healthy fat (olive oil or grass fed butter) with a pinch of salt and pepper. You can even use a food processor for smoother texture.
Mocktails instead of Cocktails
- Skip the alcohol and added sugar from mixers by mixing up some delicious mocktails that will keep you hydrated during your celebration
Grass fed Greek yogurt instead of Sour Cream
- This is such an easy swap because is it a 1:1 switch! Instead of dolloping sour cream on your baked potato, or using it as a base for your appetizer dips, use an unsweetened Greek yogurt.
Baked fruit/Crumble instead of Pie
- Another way to lower your carb intake during the holiday, is to skip the pie, and go for a crisp, crumble, or even just baked fruit! Scoop out the core of a few apples, and fill the center with a mixture of melted 1 tsp. of grass fed butter or coconut oil, oats, cinnamon, and chopped nuts of choice. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 375 degrees F, and enjoy your own personal dessert!
Pumpkin puree for oil in baking
- An easy way to lower your oil intake this holiday in baked goods, is substituting pumpkin puree for fat! The ratio of fat to pumpkin puree is 1 cup: ¾ cup. For example, if you are making muffins that call for 1 cup of butter, do ¾ cup pumpkin puree instead, or do ½ cup of each if you don’t want to cut out the butter completely.
Unique Gifts for Healthy Living
Gifts to promote movement and hydration
If quarantine has gotten you and your loved ones moving or hydrating a lot less, try gifting something that will promote healthy movement and water intake. Try one of these gift ideas to help maintain motivation past the first few weeks of the new year!
- Smart watch/activity tracker– the most innovative way to stay motivated and track activity daily to keep on moving. (Brands we like: Fitbit, Garmin, and Whoop)
- Stainless steel bottle with straw– an easy way to promote hydration as we approach the colder months (Brands we like: Klean Kanteen and Sip by Swell)
- Infusable water pitcher– another easy way to get your loved ones to drink. They will be able to use their favorite fruits, veggies, and refreshing herbs to enhance the flavor of their water without adding sugar. (Brands we like: Groche, Lasker infusion, Crate & Barrel glass pitcher water infuser)
Gifts to promote healthy cooking/eating
If you know someone who always says they are going to start their diet in the new year, show them they don’t need to wait to start cooking and eating healthy, with one of these great gift ideas!
- Customized Meal Plan with our functional nutritionist: call today to order!
- Gift a trial for one of these healthy subscription box companies:
- Cookbooks with easy, and whole food based meal ideas:
- The Anti-Inflammation cookbook by Dr. Bradley Jacobs
- Well + Good Cookbook by Alexia Brue and Melissa Gelula
- Whole Food Cooking Everyday by Amy Chaplin
- Half Baked Harvest Super Simple by Tieghan Gerard
Gifts for stress relief/adrenal health
After a year like this, another clever, and maybe even obvious gift idea would be one that promotes relaxation and healthy sleeping habits. Try one of these for that person in your life who could use a stress break.
- NED Full Spectrum Hemp Oil– this pure, potent hemp oil works wonders for relaxation, sleep, and pain relief when added into a daily routine
- Natural Calm + Calm app- This is a magnesium supplement that when taken, is beneficial for maintaining healthy functioning of the brain and nervous system, and will also help you to feel relaxed on those more stressful days.
- Wellness IVs– give the gift of wellness with us! We now offer Wellness IVs for the public. We have an Immune Booster IV, Anxiety Relief IV, Hydration IV, Energy Booster IV, and a Hangover Helper IV. You can also come in and get a Vitamin shot for roughly $89 per shot! Simply call us at (617) 934-6400 to book an IV.
- Immune-boosting supplements
- EHB is a supplement that combines various nutrients and herbs into one formula for total immune boosting wellness. It is also a go-to best seller with our clients, especially in the winter.
- Immunoberry is a tasty liquid formula containing powerful Ingredients such as elderberry, shiitake and wild cherry bark that are known for their benefits in enhancing and supporting a healthy immune system.
- ImmunoPro is Five Journeys’ formula containing the essential vitamins for immunity such as vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B12, and zinc.
We know the holiday season, and approaching new year, can sometimes be daunting, and maybe a little bit stressful with planning. Our team is here to help out in any way we can! Reach out to our front desk staff to inquire about our new Wellness IV program, supplements, and functional nutrition services to ensure you are equipped and ready for all this season has to offer!